Q: Why am I getting a whistling sound from my front wheels? Brake pads and rotors were recently replaced

I'm hearing a loud whistling sound coming from my driver side front wheel while at low speeds. I heard and then felt a bang, stopped and saw my brake pad on that tire was smoking.

I recently had my pads and rotors replaced.

If the pad is smoking that means that the pad is not retracting from contact with the rotor after you release the brake pedal. Failure to retract could be due to a stuck caliper piston (the shop may not have evaluated the re-usability of the caliper) and/or stuck pins in the torque plate that is bolted to the steering knuckle. To save money, shops will frequently not disassemble, clean and re-lubricate the pins. If those essential steps are omitted, the pads can fail to retract properly, will then wear out early, and the brake rotor can get ruined. Whatever the cause of the smoking, obviously the shop did not do what they were supposed to do. If you take it back there, watch out because if the rotor has already been overheated, it might have gotten warped. If you want, ask for a refund, request pad replacement and a certified mechanic, who you would deal with on a personal level, will look at what you have and get the brakes restored to the condition they are supposed to be in. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Why am I getting a whistling sound from my front wheels? Brake pads and rotors were recently replaced