Q: Truck dies when not on the throttle.

Hi, I have a 1995, Ford F-150, extended cab, 2wd, 2 tank pickup with the 5.0 efi. When I am driving but step on the brakes to stop the engine dies unless I put it into neutral and step on the throttle. I have replaced the entire ignition system from plugs to ignition control. I've replaced the fuel regulator and filter. She runs like a dream going down the road with no hesitation or lack of power. Just at an idle she dies. At low throttle she backfires. I replaced the egr sensor also. I am at a complete loss. I'm gonna try timing again to see if that is it. Any help would be appreciated. She is my project truck so I'm trying to keep cost down.

Hello.

A few things I would check are the timing, the idle air control valve, and the condition of the vacuum hoses. Retarded ignition timing can sometimes cause low throttle issues, and can definitely cause stalling. The idle air control valve is the component that is responsible for maintaining engine idle speed. If it fails or has an issue the engine will have trouble, or will not be able to hold a proper idle. Finally, vacuum leaks due to old or broken vacuum lines can also cause stalling and low rpm performance. I would verify the timing and then check the idle air control valve, and go from there. If you need help, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your car dying problem and replace the idle control valve if necessary.

Regards,

Eduardo YourMechanic

3. Truck dies when not on the throttle.