Q: In reverse when shifted to park.

I have a 2000 Chrysler neon. When it is in park the reverse lights are on and it rolls backwards, they said cable was out of place, we fixed that then it slipped again. Just brought it in he called me and said it's the key. Since I bought the car it's slipped out of the ignition even when driving. Just need a second opinion, could it be the key system in the car? Or the key? Does that cause it to be in reverse when shifted into park. Thank you.

The transmission gear selector has a mechanical connection to the transmission. If the linkage slips, becomes loose or broken, you may notice the transmission does not respond to the gear selection properly or does not respond at all. The ignition switch usually makes or breaks the power feed to the vehicles systems so this is not likely, but there’s a first time for everything. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out and take a closer look at your improper gear selection concern and offer a more personal diagnosis.

3. In reverse when shifted to park.