If I am hooking up an aftermarket oil pressure gauge, do ...

Q: If I am hooking up an aftermarket oil pressure gauge, do I need to keep the electronic oil pressure sending unit hooked up?

asked by on March 11, 2018

So this car is being used for circle-track racing, and I’m hooking up an aftermarket gauge cluster. The current oil pressure sending unit is just connected by a one-wire pin. I’m just curious if I need to get a T-fitting and hook my mechanical gauge up to one end, and keep my current sending unit hooked up for the ECU to read, or if I can just get away with running the aftermarket gauge.

The aftermarket gauge that you are using would likely work either way. I would recommend trying to keep the factory sending unit in place if possible to prevent any potential issues that may occur. If the new gauge does not work, you can then attempt the other method of just installing the new mechanical sensor.