Q: Transmission only has 1st gear

P0732. Vehicle goes into neutral upon trying to shift to second. Car needs to be shut off and restarted to get back into gear.

A: Hello. P0732 is the trouble code for an abn...

Hello. P0732 is the trouble code for an abnormal gear 2 shift ratio. If the vehicle’s transmission computer detects that there is an issue with the gear ratio and timing of second gear, it will set off this code to notify the driver of the issue.

A few possible causes for this are low or dirty transmission fluid, or issues with the torque convert or shift solenoids. Automatic transmissions function using fluid pressure and as a result can have all sorts of issues if the fluid is low or dirty. I would check the transmission fluid to make sure that it is clean and at the correct level.

Other possibilities are issues with the torque converter, or with the shift solenoids. These are the components that control the vehicle’s shifting points, and can cause similar malfunctions if they go out. If the torque converter is the issue, the transmission will have to be removed in order to repair the problem.

If you are unsure, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose the cause of the shifting issues.