Q: My 2008 Mercury Mountaineer seems to be burning coolant. Temperature gauge reads normal but after driving several miles I swear I

asked by on August 26, 2017

My 2008 Mercury Mountaineer seems to be burning coolant. Temperature gauge reads normal but after driving several miles I swear I'm burning antifreeze. I can smell it under the hood. Radiator is full but reservoir overflow is a little low. I just keep adding Green stuff coolant. Is this a concern? I've never flushed out the system like I know I should of by now after 6 years of owning the car.

Radiator Flush $178.82 - $215.42 Get a Quote

Hi there. It’s possible that you’re not using the correct coolant or the right ratio of coolant to distilled water. Unless the coolant bottle says "pre-mixed", it’s likely that you’re adding straight coolant instead of a 50/50 ratio of coolant to distilled water. This can cause a rather potent smell when the coolant gets hot. It’s also possible that you have a very small coolant leak. It’s probably a good idea to have a professional mechanic complete a radiator flush so they can remove any debris inside the cooling system and refill with the correct amount of coolant / water.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr