Q: My 2008 Mercury Mountaineer seems to be burning coolant. Temperature gauge reads normal but after driving several miles I swear I

asked by on August 26, 2017

My 2008 Mercury Mountaineer seems to be burning coolant. Temperature gauge reads normal but after driving several miles I swear I'm burning antifreeze. I can smell it under the hood. Radiator is full but reservoir overflow is a little low. I just keep adding Green stuff coolant. Is this a concern? I've never flushed out the system like I know I should of by now after 6 years of owning the car.

Hi there. It’s possible that you’re not using the correct coolant or the right ratio of coolant to distilled water. Unless the coolant bottle says "pre-mixed", it’s likely that you’re adding straight coolant instead of a 50/50 ratio of coolant to distilled water. This can cause a rather potent smell when the coolant gets hot. It’s also possible that you have a very small coolant leak. It’s probably a good idea to have a professional mechanic complete a radiator flush so they can remove any debris inside the cooling system and refill with the correct amount of coolant / water.