Q: Crankshaft will turn about 170 degrees then it hits something solid. What could it be

asked by on July 31, 2017

The car started idling rough at start up about three days ago. Acted like bad gas. Then my wife tried to drive it yesterday and it died several times before leaving the driveway. I tried to start it and the motor turned over a couple of times and made a noise like it hit something solid. I pulled the timing covers and the belts and gears all " look" good. I turn the crank by hand and can only get 170 degree rotation in either direction before it stops against something solid. I drained the oil and pulled the pan. Oils clean and no detrimental sign in the pan. Recently the transmission was changed out. Do you think I have a internal problem with the motor or transmission ? I've read that the torque converter bolts can back out and catch the webbing on the block. How likely is that?

The problem sounds like you have a piston hitting a valve. You will need to try and put the number one piston on top dead center on it compression stroke and check camshaft timing to see if it is in alignment. You may have jumped timing and bent a valve.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr