Q: 2005 F250 5.4L Gas Will Not Start-HELP Please!

2005 F250 5.4L Gas Will Not Start-HELP Please!

Ok full story. I was having problems with the starter 2 weeks ago. Also put in a NEW Battery. Changed the starter and it was still draggy/slow to start and wouldn't start when hot. Tracked it down to a loose engine ground. Removed, cleaned and retightened. Ran great for about a week. No Problems starting. About a week after changing the starter, started the truck after it was warm and sat for about 20 minutes. Starter stayed engaged after the truck started. I turned it off and turned the key back to the RUN position, not the START position and it was turning the engine over and started. I did this 2 or 3 times and then the starter disengaged and the truck ran. No problems for 2 days. Now it will not start. I replaced the starter again. Checked the battery. Checked all of the fuses several times. Swapped out relays several times. Replaced the ignition switch (under the steering wheel). Swapped out the ignition cylinder. Tested the starter off the truck. Re-installed starter. Jumped across starter terminals and starter engages and engine turns over. All lights work with no dimming. Will not start in Park or Neutral. Reverse lights come on in reverse. Turn the key to Run position and all dash lights come on normal. Turn key to Start position and relay under dash and relay under hood click. Lights do not dim and NOTHING. Starter circuit doesn't engage the starter or even try. The same result in Park, Reverse, Neutral, and Drive. Same lights and relays in all shift positions but the starter does NOTHING.

What am I missing ??????? I hope someone knowledgeable will have some suggestions, ideas, questions. . . . THANKS for any help! -Kenny

It sounds like you may be having an issue with the starter solenoid or the starter relay. The relay is overload protected, so if the system is trying to pull too much amperage, it will shut down. Also, if the solenoid has failed, it will not send the signal to the starter to engage the motor. There will need to be some diagnostic tests performed to verify that the system is operating within specifications. If you need help identifying and repairing the issue, YourMechanic offers several options. They have trained mechanics that can come to your home or office to diagnose the starting problem so that the correct repair can be made.

3. 2005 F250 5.4L Gas Will Not Start-HELP Please!