Q: Put new fuel pump, still won't start

I put the new fuel pump in, & it is working, except the fuel gauge, but it act's like it's not getting fuel. It's firing good, & will start, very little, using starter fluid. When I checked the fuel pressure regulator, fuel came out of it. Also, the rubber "boot" that Connect's to it is cracked, pretty bad. One question is ; is it common for the fuel pump & the fuel pressure regulator to go out at the same time, or does one cause the other to go out ? Also, the truck had sat, broke down ( we rebuilt transmission ) for about 8 months, with no gas in it. So the day we got it out of the shop, we filled it full of gas, & drove it for 5 days, the check engine light came on, & we found out it was misfiring on cylinder #8. Then on day 6 she just died while idling in the driveway. I've checked, & cleaned the mass air flow sensor, the fuel pump relay, & all the fuses, & they're good. Given all this information, which direction would you go ? Any & all suggestions & advice will help

Hi, it sounds like you have taken all the proper steps. The concern with the fuel gauge is a common issue when replacing the fuel pump. The fuel level sensor is a separate component attached to the fuel pump. This part does not always come with the fuel pump and sometimes is not interchangeable with aftermarket fuel pumps. Chevrolets have a common issue with fuel filters getting clogged. You always want to replace the fuel filter when replacing the fuel pump. This could cause the concern you are having. It may seem as you are getting enough fuel from the pressure regulator but if the pressure from the fuel tank is not correct, it will still not start. Another problem you could be having is spark. Have you recently changed the spark plugs? Make sure that they are gapped correctly. You need three things to make an engine run: fuel, spark, and air. If you need help, YourMechanic offers a repair and diagnosis service preformed by a certified mechanic that will commute to your location to look into why your car isn’t starting.