Q: Switching vtec engine d17a2 to d17a on a 2001 Honda Civic.

I would like to know what are the differences between an engine from America the d17a2 to the japanese version which is the d17a , if so can you send me an email with a full diagram with the highlighted differences ? My email is evasquez2301@gmail.com

Hi there. The main difference between the two engines are the cylinder heads. The cylinder blocks are the same and will bolt up to the transmission. You can swap the engine out, but make sure that all of the sensors are reused on the swapped engine so the computer will recognize the engines operation. Keep in mind, the Overseas motor produces 140 horse power compared to your vehicle of 127 horse power. The cylinder head has s larger area where the combustion camber lies and can create a little more power which may change the exhaust temperatures some. If you need further assistance with swapping your engine out, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.