Q: What are the ignition positions?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What are the ignition positions?

Your vehicle is equipped with four different ignition positions.

1. To turn the engine off, stop your vehicle and shift into park, then turn your key in the ignition switch to the LOCK/OFF position by turning counterclockwise, or closest to you.

2. The second position is the ACC/ACCESSORY position, which allows you to use your radio, windshield wipers, and other accessories while the engine is off. This position should also be used in the event that your vehicle is being pushed or towed. This position is one turn clockwise, or away from the driver, starting from the LOCK/OFF position.

3. The third position is the ON/RUN position, which allows you to operate accessories and use the instrument panel. This position should also be used when having your car looked at by a qualified mechanic, as this will allow them to properly run diagnostics and see if any malfunction indicator lights are on.

4. The final position is the one you’ll probably be most familiar with: START. This position will start the engine. To start, keep your foot on the brake pedal (or on the clutch if your vehicle has a manual transmission) and turn the key clockwise, away from you. When you hear the engine start, release your grip on the key. The ignition switch will then automatically turn to the ‘ON/RUN’ position for driving. Please note, your engine will only start when your car is shifted into park or neutral in an automatic transmission, and neutral in a manual transition.

Tip

If you leave your ignition in the ACC/ACCESSORY or ON/RUN position too long without the engine on, you may be putting your battery at risk of draining. If you’re running these mode for an extended period of time, be sure to run the engine after 20 minutes or so.