Q: Keep blowing a tail light fuse.

asked by on October 21, 2016

The car is a 2 door coupe. It calls for a 7.5 fuse. Fuse won't blow until the motor is turned over. Noticed if I put a larger amp fuse in the tail lights don't blow until a higher rpm. Tail lights are led aftermarket. D16Y7 motor, manual transmission.

Assuming that no wiring was damaged during the install of the aftermarket lights, (i.e., cut insulation causing a short to ground), if the fuse started blowing right after the install that means the LED assembly is drawing more current than the circuit was designed for. Circuit are fused to the maximum safe limit of current that can be on the circuit. The LED might be causing the fuse to blow because it doesn’t have an appropriate sized resistor or the assembly has an internal short to ground.