Q: I want to power my minivan with campsite power overnight

I want to plug in my minivan's power system to a post at a campsite so I could sleep in it with the heat/AC on, and so I can charge my phone and whatnot. I can't seem to find a single thing online on how to accomplish this or even mentioning that it's possible. But I don't know why it wouldn't be.

There is no provision for plugging the vehicle electrical system into an external 120 volt A/C source, thus backfeeding the system. With regard to the on-board power inverter on your vehicle that does supply A/C power at 115 volts, the maximum load that can be attached is 150 watts. So, you could plug in some low wattage LED lighting, a phone and so forth but obviously no heating or air conditioning. Your best bet by far is to plug an AWG 12 extension cord into the campground supply and bring the cord into the vehicle. Make sure that you use a GFCI (portable ones are sold at Home Depot, etc.). As always, NEVER run the vehicle engine with anybody in it, if you are just stationary, as you will likely be poisoned by CO. I personally have found the extension cord option works just great. I used a 1,500 watt electric heater in the van just this past winter (keep it on low, of course). If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. I want to power my minivan with campsite power overnight