Q: Automatic Shut down relay going bad? Car starts and then stalls at irregular times. 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

I have a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser, I have been experiencing the same problem for several months now, I have replaced the CPU, Fuel Pump and other sensors. I have not touched the Auto Shut Down Relay. The car starts fine and then while driving on flat or hilly terrain and at irregular times will stall. I have to pull over and sit a while then it will usually restart. The check engine light does not come on prior to it stalling. There is no loss in power not do the lights dim any, its like someone flips the kill switch. I will sometimes here and feel a klunk like sound and then it will stall. Could it be the auto shut down relay switch is going bad? Help pleas????

A: Hello - yes, the Auto Shutdown (ASD) Relay ...

Hello - yes, the Auto Shutdown (ASD) Relay the likely failed component here. The behavior you describe is precisely the failure pattern for this component - car runs for a while, relay contacts (which are burned at this point) get hot, and fail to conduct power. Replace the relay. I would recommend ASD relay replacement by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, and replace the relay - getting you safely back on your way.