Q: I need new struts but do not know if I need specific struts because my car is on lowering springs.

So, I bought my car used from a guy in westfield. It was great and all, but the first week, the ride got really rough. And weird sounds when I hit bumpy road. Im thinking it's the struts. So i want to replace the struts, but the guy before me replace the springs with Meghan Lowering Springs that dropped the car a couple inches. Sour, the problem is, I don't know if there is a specific type of strut I should get or just get any. And also, im new to buying car parts online, and by myself, so I need help knowing what to look for. And too see what the part looks like, because I have a general image, but I want specifics.

Shocks and struts are vehicle specific. They’re designed to operate within a certain range of travel. When you mix lowering springs - especially those that lower the car a couple of inches - with stock shocks and struts, the ride can be really rough and their life can be shortened. If you plan on keeping the lowering springs but replacing the struts only, you may want to check with vendors that sell the brand springs on the car as to their recommended struts to be paired with them.

If you decide to enlist some help for getting this fixed, I’d suggest having the car looked at by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic. They will be able to assess you car in person and assist you with the proper replacement of your strut assembly. Best of luck.

• I need new struts but do not know if I need specific struts because my car is on lowering springs.