Q: Engine clanking when starting

I see a couple of lights coming on the dashboard when I start up my car. I also hear a loud clanking noise coming from the engine.

Hello. Most of the lights will flash or come on when the car is started. It is the manufacturers way of allowing the owner to easily determine if the bulbs are working properly. If the lights remain on after a few seconds of running, then it will be a potential issue. A certified mechanic can inspect the dashboard lights and determine what trouble codes, if any, are present. The leading cause of engine noise at start ups is low engine oil. I strongly suggest checking the level of the oil. If you need assistance, a mechanic will gladly inspect the oil in the your vehicle. If the noise remains present after verifying the level is correct, I would recommend having a technician, such as ones provided by YourMechanic, Use a stethoscope to inspect the engine noise to better determine what may be making the noise.

3. Engine clanking when starting