Q: Service engine light is on

I'm trying to figure out if i need to replace the catalytic converter or is it the oxygen sensor. Should i replace the oxygen sensor first and if so how do i know which one to replace because my car has two oxygen sensors????

Hi There, Generally when the check engine light is on, it will register a code in the computer indicating which oxygen sensor is bad. i would suggest starting with replacing oxygen sensors first as this is much more common to fail than a catalytic converter and is much less expensive to repair. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose using a scanning tool which should more specifically narrow down what the cause for the check engine light might be.

3. Service engine light is on