Q: I need a pre-purchase opinion.

My parents have a preferred mechanic they have used for about a decade now. I told him I was looking to buy a 2010 Galant FE, and he (paraphrasing here) told me to stay away, and look to purchase anything else if I can. What is your opinion? How do these cars hold up? How hard are they to work on? Is it going to be mechanically reliable, or would I need to find the magic unicorn in order to keep this thing running (cheap-ish) for the next 2 years?

Hi there. I tend to agree with your parents trusted mechanic. In general, Mitsubishi vehicles tend to have major electrical and mechanical problems after 100,000 miles or 5 years of continual use. However, some of them continue to run great for decades if properly maintained and serviced. They are not very easy to maintain, and replacement parts are typically higher than others in the same category. My advice is not to seek the Unicorn; look for a good workhorse or reliable stable pony, like a Honda, Nissan or Toyota.