Q: I lost reverse. What could that be?

I lost reverse but before then it was making a grinding noise in the rear end and it had a little vibration at about 60 and when I try to put it in anything except drive it sounds kinda like grinding gears.. I think it might be in the rear end but I want a professional opinion before I buy anything.

Hi there. The noise of grinding sounds like a gear that is broken or damaged like a pinion gear in the differential or a drive gear in the transmission. Get a stethoscope for an automotive vehicle and put the probe on the transmission and differential with the vehicle on jack stands. Put the vehicle in Low and listen for where the noise is coming from. This will give you a location to begin diagnosing. For the reverse to not work, it sounds like the reverse input drive clutches inside the transmission has failed. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your no reverse condition.

3. I lost reverse. What could that be?