Q: I just had my radiator replaced and its still leaking, it overheated two days ago and hasnt been moved. what could be the problem?

asked by on November 07, 2017

I just had my cracked radiator replaced. The repairer put coolant in the car but advised me to put more. After driving for about 5 minutes, the engine coolant over temp sensor came on. However, the car still has a small leak somewhere. What could it be?

Hi Shay. Thanks for contacting us today. It could be multiple issues, ranging from a hose clamp that was not tightened correctly, the radiator cap is damaged or not correctly installed, a stripped radiator hose or perhaps the mechanic put too much radiator coolant vs. distilled water and the leak is coming from the overflow tank. As coolant heats up, it expands, which is why it’s recommended to use a 50/50 ratio of coolant to distilled water. It’s also possible that the mechanic did not properly bleed the air out of the cooling system and that air bubbles are trapped in the cooling lines. It is probably best to have a different professional mechanic complete an overheating inspection as soon as possible to discover the root issue and to reduce the damage that will occur if not resolved.