Q: Stuck throttle when driving. 1997 Ford Ranger

I've cleaned my IAC valve I cleaned my maf sensor and replaced a vacuum line. It doesn't feel like its gonna die anymore and is a little more smooth but when I'm driving the throttle sticks and when I'm stopped too. Before I cleaned everything it didn't rev high that much but now it did it 3 times just driving home. There is also a popping sound like air escaping out but only does it when my idle goes down. The guy I bought it from said it needed a timing adjustment. But I don't think that's the problem. I also have considered the throttle cable maybe? I'm desperate ha.

Engine is backfiring Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there - first task is to check for problem codes, whether the Check Engine light is on or not. Most auto parts stores will do this for you for free on a "time-available" basis. Check to see if the throttle return spring is in place and working properly. If so, the sticking throttle is likely a dirty throttle body, which could cause the throttle butterfly to stick as the throttle is opened, or when accelerator pedal pressure is removed and the throttle butterfly should close. Regarding the popping noise - air leaks in the intake and/or bad ignition timing can cause backfiring through the intake as you describe. I recommend a engine misfire inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.