I have replaced alternator, battery, and all wiring but c...

Q: I have replaced alternator, battery, and all wiring but car still shuts off while driving and all electronics reset, but car start

asked by on August 03, 2017

I have a 2003 Mustang v6 that seemed to have a ground issue before. I redid the grounding with a circle ground system that adds extra wires.That still had a bad connection but I got that fixed. Car was still having voltage issues. I installed a 220 amp alternator with a new amp wiring kit, and a new 590 CCA battery. Everything seemed brighter and better at first. When driving to work it shut off just 2 miles from home bit started right back up and on into work. On the way home I grabbed some Noalox and coated all the terminals and reinstlled and tested my connections. Driving into work tonight, it dipped in power enough to reset the radio but not turn off, did it again on the interstate. When I slowed to a stop it did it again. When coming into the parking lot it shut off. I put in in neutral and it fired back up easily. Pulling into a spot it did the exact same thing. The car keeps dieing but will easily trunk right back on. Everything inside keeps resetting.

Diagnosing an electrical problem like you’ve described is one of the more difficult things to complete - even for a professional mechanic. In some cases, an exposed wire that may sometimes come in contact with metal will cause this type of issue, while an actual ground wire connection that is rusty or faulty will cause this problem. The best advice we can offer is to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an electrical problems inspection.