Q: 2005 Honda CR-V: Oil or VSA problem

asked by on March 12, 2018

Lately, my Honda's VSA system seems to keep turning off while I'm driving; The VSA Activation Indicator, VSA System Indicator, and Malfunction Indicator Lamp lights all turn on. When the car attempts to shift at high RPMs, about 2500-3000, it abruptly shifts or shakes unless if I ease off the gas, making shifting difficult. When I restart the car, the VSA lights clear. The error codes read P2646, which suggests replacing the VTEC oil pressure switch. Is that switch the issue? Or could a simple oil change and/or transmission fluid change be in order? Or is this really a VSA issue, which is way too costly to repair/replace?

Hi Brad. Thanks for sending the question today. I think you might want to read this article about the P-2646 OBD-II trouble code, as there are several possible sources and repair solutions. Most of the time, the issue is not with the sensor, but the electrical harness connected to the sensor.