Q: 2005 Honda CR-V: Oil or VSA problem

Lately, my Honda's VSA system seems to keep turning off while I'm driving; The VSA Activation Indicator, VSA System Indicator, and Malfunction Indicator Lamp lights all turn on. When the car attempts to shift at high RPMs, about 2500-3000, it abruptly shifts or shakes unless if I ease off the gas, making shifting difficult. When I restart the car, the VSA lights clear. The error codes read P2646, which suggests replacing the VTEC oil pressure switch. Is that switch the issue? Or could a simple oil change and/or transmission fluid change be in order? Or is this really a VSA issue, which is way too costly to repair/replace?

Hi Brad. Thanks for sending the question today. I think you might want to read this article about the P-2646 OBD-II trouble code, as there are several possible sources and repair solutions. Most of the time, the issue is not with the sensor, but the electrical harness connected to the sensor.

3. 2005 Honda CR-V: Oil or VSA problem