Q: Undriven car's battery started, but ran rough

asked by on June 27, 2016

My car wasn't started or driven for 2 months while it sat in the garage and naturally the battery died. I jump-started it and it started just fine. But then once it was started it was running rough, like it was missing. Do you think the gas has gone bad or would it be something different?

Hello there,

When vehicles sit for long periods of time like this a few things can happen. The battery can drain, the fuel can lose its octane rating, and oil can pool in the cylinders.

If the vehicle is misfiring you may be on the right track with bad gas. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your rough running symptoms and perform any repairs required to get your car running smoothly again.