Q: My car acts like it’s about to die.

asked by on October 18, 2017

My car seems like it’s about to die while I’m at a stop light/parked with the engine running. The RPm’s will even drop below 1000. It’s bumpy, shakes, and makes noises when it does this. Doesnt happen at every red light. Just a couple of times. I’ve asked the boys at Autozone, had them check my battery and alternator. Alternator passed. Battery was at 79% out of 100%. (I have been driving my car A BUNCH for the past few days). They said it could be I need to replace the battery, or it could be an electrical problem. I’m taking it to the shop tomorrow.

If you have a battery that is on the verge of going bad and is only at 79% then what can happen is you could have the other electrical loads cause erratic operation at lower engine rpms. If you have not seen any warning lights staying on like the charge light then I would recommend replacing the battery with a factory approved battery and have throttle plates cleaned and computer relearn idle. This should improve the running condition and if not then seek more testing at a mechanic like one from YourMechanic.