Q: 2006 Ridgeline RTL engine light stays on. Vehicle runs great and has new catalytic converter. Did reset but light came back on. Best guess please.

asked by on February 15, 2017

Engine light came on , tried reset, light returned.,vehicle has new cat system. Vehicle runs great. Engine light does not blink stays solid when it returns..

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. The checking engine light that you are receiving can stand for a large number of issues with the vehicle, and knowing what codes have been triggered are the only way to resolve the issue. With that being said, if you have made changes to the vehicle since you first found or scanned the check engine light, then you will want to re-scan the vehicle and not assume that the diagnostic codes which triggered the light originally are the same. They will change on you, and you will never know because all you see is a generic light. Scanning can be done at most automotive parts stores, or by a technician. Do not wait for the check engine light to blink, if it is on, the computer is detecting a problem. For more help scanning the vehicle and taking corrective action, contact our service department to schedule an appointment. At first glance, it sounds like you have a sensor issue (that is assuming the check engine light is pertaining to the O2 sensor).

Hi there. The best thing to do is check the ECM (computer) to see what codes are stored and then you will have a starting place for a diagnoses on your vehicle. If your catalytic converter was replaced and then the light is still coming on, either the oxygen sensors are plugged or the engine is in a rich or lean state. If you need further assistance with your check engine light being on, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.