Q: if the AC compressor is seized can the belt smoke when it is turned on?

The owner of the car says he had the serpentine belt replaced. The AC is not blowing cold when turned on. But the AC is not blowing cold when turned on. There was a slight smoke coming from the area of the belts. Can the AC belt or serpentine belt be smoking from a seized compressor? 95 Ford Escort wagon

A: Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. ...

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. If a serpentine belt goes around an a/c compressor clutch pulley and the compressor is locked up, it is okay to have the belt as long as the a/c compressor clutch is not activated. If you saw smoke coming from the belt, then either the a/c compressor clutch was engaged or the clutch was seized to the compressor shaft. Within doubt, if you need to operate your vehicle without the a/c, you can purchase a serpentine belt that is shorter in design to bypass the a/c compressor. Keep in mind that when you want to use the defogger for your windshield, it works only with the a/c working. I recommend fixing the a/c compressor issue so the vehicle is working in normal conditions. If you need assistance with your serpentine belt, then seek out a professional, preferably a professional from YourMechanic to help you.