Q: Serpentine belt broke, engine temperature higher than usual

Serpentine belt broke down, engine light came on, battery light came on, steering wheel locked up

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2008 Mercury Milan. You’ll need to replace the broken serpentine belt after checking all the pulleys and tensioner to see if they were the cause of the broken belt. Then install the new belt and then check and clear the codes. You most likely have an overheating-related code as well. If you need help having this checked, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the Check Engine Light, Battery Light, and steering problem in order to get a handle on the correct repairs for these issues.

3. Serpentine belt broke, engine temperature higher than usual