Q: Hear engine grinding noise at idle only-park or drive. Then goes away above idle. Not AC or any pumps. What is it?

Hear engine grinding noise at idle only-park or drive. Then goes away above idle. Not AC or any pumps. What is it?

A: Hi there. In many cases, the grinding noise...

Hi there. In many cases, the grinding noise coming from an engine at idle and in park can be caused by a VVT solenoid or switch. Typically solenoid problems are caused by dirty oil, which clogs the screen that sits between the solenoid and the VVT pressure switch. If the solenoid doesn’t operate, the VVT system will remain disengaged, which can adversely impact engine performance, fuel economy and more. To be certain however, it’s best to have a professional mechanic come to your home to complete an engine is making a noise inspection. This will allow them to diagnose this issue and provide an accurate repair.