Q: while driving, when i let completely off the gas pedal the truck kind of jumps and makes a clunk sound

asked by on November 15, 2017

I noticed the other day that my Manual 4WD isn't working, possibly linkage is broke, and now while driving when I let off the gas pedal completely, the truck will kind of jump and make a clunk sound. Doesn't happen every time I let off. Also something feels tight in the steering when turning slightly to the left. Any ideas?

Hi Zach. Thanks for contacting us today. There are a few things you should look into with these symptoms. First and most common is that the clunk sound you hear is coming from a loose driveshaft. This could be due to the input shaft or the coupler. It is also possible that transmission or motor mounts are loose or worn. Dirty transmission fluid in an automatic transmission could also cause this. The steering problem is likely not related - and could be a worn tie rod or stabilizer bar bushing.