Q: Q: power steering fluid is leaking

Hello, so my power steering fluid is leaking a lot (really bad, i mean its pouring ) from the left side near the left wheel. Theres a white noise and its really hard to turn when its out. But when I refill the power steering fluid the wheel works perfectly until its out again in like 15min. Who could have caused it and what do you think is the problem: power steering pump, power steering hoses, power steering rack or gear or power steering cooler? Or its hard to tell from what I said :( ? I'm just hoping its not something big.

With a power steering fluid leak that big, you certainly should have the vehicle inspected as soon as possible to find the exact cause. Any of the components you listed can be the source of the leak. The power steering pump as well as the rack & pinion steering unit rely on the fluid for lubrication as well as cooling. The whining you hear is from the pump when the fluid runs low or empty. Your issue can be caused by something as simple as a fluid hose right now, but continued ’running dry" of the power steering fluid, can result in damage to both the pump and the rack & pinion unit. If that happens, you can take what may be a repair of a few hundred dollars and turn it into a repair of a couple of thousand dollars.

Hi there. It’s really hard to pinpoint the source of your power steering leak without being there to complete an inspection. When a lot of fluid leaks, it is typically due to a power steering pump failure; where the gasket has failed and the fluid is leaking while the system is under pressure. This could also be the source of your noise. I would recommend having a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a power steering fluid leaking inspection.

3. Q: power steering fluid is leaking