Q: Squealing noise under the hood

asked by on September 13, 2016

My car has an automatic transmission and has gone 19,000 miles. Each time I start the car, I can hear a squealing noise. The noise is coming from under the hood. I had the tensioner and belt replaced but it didn't help. What can I do to prevent this?

AC Compressor Replacement $672.08 - $2753.22 Get a Quote
Loud squealing or rattling is coming from engine Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello there. I would try to make sure you turn off your A/C before you shut off the vehicle each time to see if the squeal goes away. The A/C may be trying to come on too soon before the engine gets up to speed and can squeal. If this noise is less or goes away with the A/C off, then you can better narrow the cause as the A/C compressor. If you would like to have this checked for you, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the squealing noise and guide with the correct repairs.