Q: Ocassional shifting problems

I occasionally have shifting problems with the truck. Also, there is the service engine soon warning on. It sometimes wouldn't shift into drive. It shifts through the gears well, until put into drive. What could be causing this? The truck has Allison transmission and runs diesel.

Hello there, a few different faults could cause the vehicle to shift poorly. The most common would be low transmission fluid level, a shift solenoid, transmission linkage damaged, or a transmission range sensor. Always the first thing checked in any transmission fault is the condition and level of the transmission fluid. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your shifting problem and perform any repairs required.