Q: Car cranking, but then dying

My car cranks and starts, and then runs a few minutes before sputtering and faltering, and then dies. It then won't restart. My thoughts on what could be causing the problem include the spark plugs or the fuel filter.

From my experience, checking the fuel filter and spark plugs is a great place to start when trying to determine why your VW beetle is sputtering and stalling out. The symptoms you describe however sound like your Volkswagen is experiencing fuel pump vapor lock. Your fuel pump is located on the engine and there is a shaft that moves up and down to activate the fuel pump. When the engine warms up, this shaft can become stuck and starve your engine of fuel. When this happens it begins to sputter and stall out. The VW will eventually be able to restart when the engine cools down. To be 100% certain this is the cause though, I highly recommend enlisting the assistance of a certified mechanic to come and inspect your Classic Beetle with you. They will have the knowledge and tools needed to identify the cause of your Beetle’s starting and then stalling issue and make the necessary repairs to keep your Beetle running great.