Q: I have a 1996 Nissan Quest van. It does have a lot of miles, but it's all I have, so I need to do all I can with little that I hav

I smell burnt rubber coming from the front tire on the driver side, and I saw some smoke come from it a few times only. I also can feel this rubbing from holding onto the stirring wheel, only when I'm driving over 40 miles per hour.....Now, this happened to me before, but because I waited to long before I got it fixed, I had to replace my rotors and the brakes too. And it had a lot of smoke coming from the tire, then it does now. So, the burnt rubber smell is happening again after a year later...So, I took it to Brake Masters and they diagnosed it to be the wheel cylinders. Yet, I feel they are wrong, even though they did show me the boot was torn along side the trim. But because I had replaced the rotors and brake shoes a year ago, I never replaced this part, the wheel cylinders.....So, could they be trying to get me for more parts, than trying to fix the real problem???

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

They may be referring to the brake calipers and/or the torque plates. The components are subject to "sticking" if not rebuilt or serviced during a brake job. If a brake caliper does stick, typically the rotors and new brake pads will be ruined. If you’re trying to save money, what I would suggest is have the vehicle inspected on a mobile basis and repaired as needed, on a mobile basis, too. If you want to go that route, just request a brake safety inspection. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will determine exactly what you need to get this issue resolved and get your car back in good working order. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. I have a 1996 Nissan Quest van. It does have a lot of miles, but it's all I have, so I need to do all I can with little that I hav