Q: I have 2003 ford ranger 4wd, 150K miles. A month ago, i had the battery, fuel filter and fuel pump replaced. Yesterday it would no

asked by on March 30, 2018

I have had the battery, fuel pump and filter replaced in the last 3 months. The fuel pump was replaced a month ago and it has been starting up with no issues until yesterday. I had run errands and shut off and turned on the engine about 5 times in the course of 2 hours. I tried to start it, and it wouldn't turn over...same problem i had originally. After sitting overnight, it started fine. What could cause this to happen?

Starters sometimes develop "bad spots" on the armature (of the starter motor). That causes intermittent, unreliable operation just like what you are experiencing. The problem is easily diagnosed and the solution can be implemented at the same time (install a new starter). If you want the cause confirmed, please use YourMechanic’s starter diagnostic/replacement service page and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If it turns out the fault is not the starter itself, but instead another issue in the starting electrical circuit, of course the mechanic will still identify and resolve the unreliable staring issue during that same visit. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.