Q: I changed the differential oil to Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 Synthetic(open differential). Will synthetic gear oil cause damage.

asked by on December 27, 2016

Can a full synthetic gear lube damage my differential. I believe it is a open differential, not limited slip.

Synthetic oils generally offer better protection than conventional oils. They stay cleaner longer and withstand higher temperatures better than conventional fluids do. A good rule of thumb to go by whether using conventional or synthetic fluids, so long as the specifications listed on them meet or exceed what the vehicle manufacturer recommends and you replace them at least as often as recommended, you should have no fluid-caused issues.