Q: I am having an issue with a 2011 Aveo where it loses power accelerating and braking/slowing down. The hard part is this is really

asked by on March 05, 2018

I am having an issue with a 2011 Aveo where it loses power accelerating and braking/slowing down. It is really intermittent. This last happened a few days ago (March 2018, and before that it had happened around 6-8 months ago. The car wasn't responding to the brakes and she states the engine raced briefly. Also, the acceleration was slow, as she had the gas petal all the way down and it was being very slow in responding. She pulled over into a parking lot, turned the car off, waited 10 mins and turned it back on and it ran fine. Over the phone I had her turn the AC off and she was able to drive over 30 mins on the freeway with no issues. In a nutshell, there was no engine light, no warning lights at all while this happened. This occurred in warm weather (AZ). The AC was set to the 1 position. The brake pedal felt normal, but the car wasn't responding to her presses and didn't accel. normally either. The car has no ABS and the car did not die, there was power.

Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The possible causes of this intermittent loss of power include a faulty oxygen sensor, weak fuel pump and/or clogged filter, vacuum leaks, ignition system malfunctions, bad valve timing if the timing belt or chain is worn or skipped, blocked exhaust (e.g., catalytic converter fails or becomes clogged), faulty airflow sensor, throttle/accelerator position sensor or electronic throttle body, and so forth. Whatever the cause, if you request an engine loss of power diagnostic, the certified mechanic will get this resolved right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.