Q: A lot of paint is chipping off my car

asked by on October 30, 2015

I cannot believe how much paint has chipped off of my 2009 Toyota RAV4 since I got it. I barely hit 10,000 miles when I noticed that there were little chips on the front bumper and on the front of the hood. Now I am almost at 20,000 miles (stil brand new!) and there are big chips on the bumper and there are little chips all over the mirrors and fenders. What can I do to stop this from getting worse? I am really worried about when it comes time to sell this car.

There are many reported problems with the paint on certain Toyota models. Most of the time the dealership will claim it is due to environmental issues, and Toyota not issued any recalls or Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) to address this. The problems can start as small chips and progressively get worse with time. Unfortunately there isn’t much you can do other than having the vehicle repainted. Some minor advice is to avoid commercial car washes and wash your vehicle by hand using nonabrasive cleaners. You should also avoid parking your vehicle under any type of tree as sap and bark debris can damage paint. Try to rinse your vehicle off after a good rain storm, since depending on where you live rain can be very acidic or carry a high concentration of salt, in coastal areas, and can contribute to paint problems. Feel free to take your VIN number to a dealership so they can provide you with a list of all TSB’s and recalls related to your vehicle.