Q: Had a P0446 code, now I have a P2405 code

I had two codes, po126 and po446 originally. I replaced the thermostat and now only have a p2405 code. I originally thought it was the purge solenoid but now it is saying the leak detection pump. Could this all still be related to a bad purge valve? That would make the leak detection pump run at lower current due to a leak and less pressure. Do you think I should still evaluate the purge valve. I have a vacuum pump coming soon.

Hi, thanks for writing in. The P2405 code is generated by the leak detection system which creates an artificial vacuum in your fuel supply system for a short period of time upon each engine startup sequence. If it is unable to hold a vacuum, such as because of a loose gas cap, this code is set. You don’t specify which model of Mazda you own, but, there is a Mazda Technical Service Bulletin (01-043/09) which addresses the failure of the leak detection pump. I recommend checking with your Mazda dealers service manager regarding this TSB for your vehicle. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect your service lights for you, and make or suggest any repairs needed.

3. Had a P0446 code, now I have a P2405 code