Q: How to fix loud lifter noise?

asked by on March 06, 2017

When i turn on my car it makes a loud ticking noise that increases when i accelerate the car.

Add 1 quart of ATF to the engine oil and run the engine for 15 minutes at 2,000 rpm’s. This will thin out the engine oil and clean out the lifter with the high detergents. Then drain the oil and replace the filter and put new oil in the engine. If the lifter noise continues, then I recommend replacing the lifter. Since the engine has more than 150K miles, I suggest replacing all of the lifters. If you need further assistance with your lifter making a noise, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.