Q: How do I replace the spark plugs on a 1994 Lexus GS 300 ?

asked by on April 26, 2017

I am wondering how the best way to replace the spark plugs on my 94 GS 300 would be?

The best way to replace the spark plugs on this vehicle would be to first open up the hood. Since this vehicle has a stright six engine, the spark plugs should be fairly easy to get to and should be located near the top of the engine within the valve cover. There is likely a plastic cover that goes over the spark plug wires or ignition coils with the Lexus logo on it to give the engine a good appearance. This cover will need to be removed. Once this cover is removed, the ignition coils or spark plug wires will be visible. You will know they are for the spark plugs because there will be six of them and they will all be identical. The six wires or igntion coils will need to be removed to gain access to the spark plugs themselves. Once the spark plug wires have been removed, use a long ratchet (for leverage), a long extension (to reach inside the spark plug cylinder), and a magnetic spark plug socket (for easy removal) to loosen and remove the spark plugs. Once the spark plugs are removed, check the manufacturer’s recommendations for any gapping that may be necessary for the plugs. Once the plugs have been gapped, apply some anti seize to the threads on the new plugs to make them easier to get out next time. Install the new plugs and tighten to the manufacturer’s specification. Reinstall the spark plug wires or ignition coils. Finally, reinstall the engine cover. If you need further assistance with this service, consider YourMechanic as a certified professional can come to your home or office to replace your spark plugs for you.