Q: hesitant when i press the gas. and rpms below 1k at idle and makes grinding noise when started

When i start my truck i think it misfires or something because it will make a loud grinding noise and it will only go to 1k rpms barely at idle if it even stays on. I can only get up to 30 mph and even that takes some time. I cant make it up hills at all, and the cat. Converter gets red hot. Its really hesitant when i press the gas and when i let go it trys to die so i have to press the clutch to keep it on and thats barely even working at this point. The oil gage is on the other side of the needle if that matter. And a boot on the small hose connected to the air filter hose and the top of the engine had a hole in it so i cut it from the hole and put it back on. I have no idea on what to do and every mechanic said it would cost 1 to 2 hundred to do the test the think they need to do and im broke. Someone please help...

3. hesitant when i press the gas. and rpms below 1k at idle and makes grinding noise when started