Q: If your trying to program a key and your battery is fully charged what else could be wrong

I lost my key so I got a new one but it won't program and the battery light came on so I charged the battery and stuck it back in and tried again but the battery light came on again what else could be wrong

Hi there. There are a few things that could be at fault causing your dilemma. I understand you’ve charged the battery, but what are the current cold cranking amps and state of health? A digital diagnostic battery tester can provide the answer to these questions. The battery is the heart of the electrical system and a fault in the battery will cause or add to your problems. Are you only programming a key or a key and wireless transmitter? I located reference guide to aid you in attempting to program a new key, but this will not work if the vehicle has electrical complications.

It is as follows: Keep the windows open as a safety measure, then, Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder. Remove the BCM PRGRM fuse from the fuse panel. Refer to Fuse Block in Wiring Systems. Close all of the doors. Close the lift gate. Turn the ignition lock cylinder to ACC. Turn the ignition lock cylinder to OFF, and then back to ACC within 1 second. Open and close any vehicle door. A chime will be heard when the system enters the BCM programming/diagnostic mode. Important After 7 seconds, a chime may be heard confirming successful synchronization. It is necessary to wait approximately 14 seconds for a second chime that will confirm successful programming.

Press and hold the transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 14 seconds. Repeat the previous step on each additional transmitter to be programmed. Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder. Install the BCM PRGRM fuse back into the fuse panel. Refer to Fuse Block in Wiring Systems.

Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with an electrical system inspection, battery replacement, and provide an estimate and direction of repair.

3. If your trying to program a key and your battery is fully charged what else could be wrong