Q: neutral safety switch

asked by on February 06, 2017

Can the neutral safety switch be replaced from inside the car without the need to jack up the car? Something a mechanically inclined person can do? Advise?

In your application, the switch is in the passenger compartment. Of course, prior to replacing it, be sure it is really faulty. There is a test protocol in the Factory Service Manual and you can request that those steps be performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location. If you want the switch tested, and replaced as needed, simply request neutral safety switch diagnostic/replacement and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you.

To replace the neutral safety switch, set the parking brake and block the wheels. Place the shift selector in "N". Remove the console. The switch is located on the side of the shift selector, held by 2 bolts or nuts. Unplug the wiring connectors, then remove the switch. When installing the switch, make sure the switch slider is positioned to align with the shifter arm or tab. Install the switch, tighten the retaining nuts or bolts and connect the wiring. Reinstall the console. After installing the switch, check that the engine starts only in "P" or "N". The starter should NOT engage with the shifter in any other position. Check also that the back-up lights come on when the selector is placed in "R". If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.