Q: Door lock actuators all went bad at the same time

Over the last two months, all of my door lock "actuators" have gone bad. The problem started with the driver's door, and quickly jumped to all three other doors. They won't lock or unlock at all. Parts and labor to get this fixed has been repeatedly quoted at around $500 per door. I've been getting in and out through the back hatch for now, but it's starting to give ten beeps when I open it up, and I'm worried that it might go bad too. I can get just the locks fixed as a bandaid for now, but if I don't do something soon, I won't be able to get into my vehicle at all. How long would the locks last if I get them replaced, and what could cause all my actuators to go out at roughly the same time?

A: The door latch and lock actuators for each ...

The door latch and lock actuators for each door are operated simultaneously opening and closing, so they all are designed to last about the same amount of time. They are very expensive parts since they are an integrated unit with the latch and lock unit in one. The lock’s life span is not a set amount of time since they are a mechanical device and may last 5 to 10 years depending on amount of use. You do not have to do every door at the same time. You could just get the drivers door fixed first and then do each other door if you want when you want. The back door sounds like it is going bad also and may soon fail. A certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can replace the lock actuators at your home or office.