Q: Hearing a grinding sound on start trying to figure out what could be?

My car has just started today making a grinding sound almost as if the key is being turned to far and forcing the starter to keep starting, it goes for about 3 seconds then when I touch the the key to the left it goes off, not sure what it is.... has only happened once, tried to look at it in drive way and it only happened 1/10 try's.. I've read online there is a history of starter relays in my car going bad could that be it and should I look to service that first?

Hi There, What you are describing sounds like a faulty starter solenoid. The starter solenoid is located on the starter and has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. As electricity is supplied to the starter a small gear comes out and engages the flywheel to spin the engine over as you turn the key. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. This may also cause the starter gear to hang on to the flywheel after letting off of your key which is what may be causing the grinding sound you describe. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

• Hearing a grinding sound on start trying to figure out what could be?