Q: Random startup problems, AAA battery service

Hi. My car has problems with the startup. When the key was turned, everything seemed to be working, but the car couldn't be started. I jump-started it and it ran okay. The other time I attempted to drive it, it had the same issue. The AAA battery service appeared, so I tested it. It was leaking and had low charge. I had it replaced. The starter and alternator were also tested and were fine. The issue seemed to be solved after that. However, the following day, there were the same issues with startup and AAA battery service so I got fuses checked and had some rusted connections replaced. The ignition fuse worked well too. The car was fine until the next time I tried to get it running. Several fuses seemed to be unresponsive so I didn't drive the car. The next day, the car worked fine. What could be causing these random startup issues? I appreciate your help.

A: Hello. It sounds like the engine does not c...

Hello. It sounds like the engine does not crank at all when this occurs. This is typically caused by a failing ignition switch or transmission position sensor. The most common issue I have come across on this vehicle is the ignition switch. The internal contacts fail and do not complete the circuits to start the vehicle. I would usually do a voltage drop test first to see if the switch is failing. It can also be a number of other electrical problems but this is the most common. If you plan on having this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose this.