Q: Growling or grinding noise coming from the right rear wheel of a 4wd

I have a 2008 Lincoln MKZ with 4 wheel drive. There is a growling noise coming from the right rear wheel whenever I make a slow but hard right turn. For instance, turning into my driveway, or turning into a parking space at the supermarket What might be the cause?

A: The noise may be coming from the right rear...

The noise may be coming from the right rear brakes if you are applying them during the turn. This may be normal material in the pads making noise. Try to see if the noise does the same on the left side when making a left turn in the same fashion. If the noise matches then you may have a noise issue with the rear axle gear’s clutch that needs to be inspected and checked. The material in the rear brake pads may just be making noise during tight turns. I suggest allowing a certified mechanic to inspect your brake system firsthand to see what is causing it.