Q: Grinding when 4WD is engaged

asked by on August 18, 2016

My truck starts making grinding sounds when I engage the four-wheel drive. When I disengage it, the noise is gone. The noise is coming from the front end upon turning the wheels at low speeds. What might cause this?

The best way to diagnose this problem is to have your vehicle inspected by a professional, such as one from YourMechanic. However, I can make some educated guesses about your noise. There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for your vehicle. It is #91-18-12 and it concerns a ratcheting noise from the front hubs in four-wheel drive. The fix is to replace the hub assemblies with updated parts, change the fluid in the front differential and replace some transfer case components with updated parts. If you’d like a second opinion on this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can help diagnose the noise you’re hearing and suggest a fix from there.